Made With Our
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast (preferably four small breasts)
- 4 ounces Gouda cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- For the sauce-
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine (such as cabernet sauvignon or pinot noir)
- 1 cup New England Cranberry Relish
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, minced (plus more on the stem to garnish plates)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Butterfly each chicken breast by cutting the breasts almost in half (stopping 1/4-inch from the other side) horizontally. Open breast like a book and pound to a little more than 1/4-inch thickness, taking care to not make holes in the meat.
- Layer sliced cheese and apples down one side of the breast. Fold breast closed again. Secure sides by threading several toothpicks through chicken so the apple and cheese stay in while cooking. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof sauté pan over medium heat. Add the stuffed chicken breasts and cook several minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove breasts and tent with foil.
- For the sauce heat butter in the same pan you cooked the chicken in over medium-low heat
- Add garlic and shallots and cook several minutes until tender. Make sure they do not brown.
- Deglaze pan by adding the red wine and stirring to remove the fond (brown bits) on the bottom of the pan. Add the New England Cranberry Relish, thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
- Return chicken to the pan. Place pan in oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through and has an internal temperature of 160° F.
- Serve chicken with sauce.